MAYO-ROASTED VEGETABLE, ROCKET & FETA SALAD
- 500 g butternut cubes
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 500 g baby marrows, cut into 2-cm slices
- 2 big red peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 brinjals, cut into big cubes
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml) Crosse & Blackwell Tangy Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 x pillow pack wild rocket
- 2 ‘wheels’ (about 140 g) feta cheese
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup (125 ml) Crosse & Blackwell Tangy Mayonnaise
- the juice of 1 lemon
- pan juices (see Step 6)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220 °C, fan on.
2. Put the butternut, tomatoes, baby marrows, peppers and brinjals in a big roasting pan.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic and herbs. Pour this mixture over the veggies, and toss well so every piece is coated.
4. Roast the veggies at 220 °C for about 45 minutes, or until they are soft and toasty.
5. Set aside to cool. Tilt the roasting pan, spoon out all the juices and set aside.
6. To make the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise and lemon juice, and add just enough of the reserved pan juices to thin the dressing to your liking. Season to taste.
7. To serve, lay a bed of wild rocket on a platter and top with the roast vegetables. Crumble over the feta cheese and serve with the dressing.
This is a versatile salad because you can add other roasting vegetables of your choice (such as cubed pumpkin, quartered onions, carrots or parsnips) and use a variety of green salad leaves. The salad is very good warm, so if you’re making this in advance you can gently reheat the roasted veggies in the oven before arranging them on a bed of leaves.