Spicy Carrot & Orange Salad
- 1 large orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sultanas or raisins
- 750 g carrots
- 1 tsp (5 ml) powdered cumin
- 1 cup (250 ml) Crosse & Blackwell Creamy Mayonnaise
- 5 Tbsp (75 ml) chopped fresh coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 250 g feta cheese, crumbled [optional]
1. Using the smallest ‘teeth’ of a cheese grater (or with a microplane) finely grate the zest of the orange and the lemon and place it all in a small bowl. Squeeze the orange juice and lemon juice into the bowl, add the sultanas (or raisins) and set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Peel the carrots and coarsely grate them, using the biggest ‘teeth’ of your cheese grater. 3. Place the carrots in a large mixing bowl and stir in the cumin, Crosse & Blackwell Creamy Mayonnaise and the chopped coriander or parsley. Now add the sultanas plus all the citrus juice and zest from the bowl you soaked them in.
4. Stir gently and season to taste with salt and pepper. 5. Arrange the salad in a bowl and top with crumbled feta cheese.
Everyone loves a carrot and orange salad, and we’ve made this one extra delicious by adding our special Creamy Mayonnaise! This salad is excellent as part of a Seven Colours spread on a relaxed Sunday with family and friends. Or you can jazz it up for a special occasion by adding a topping of crumbled feta cheese plus toasted flaked almonds or poppy seeds.