Waldorf Salad with a Twist
- 2 smoked chicken breasts
- 2 crisp red apples
- the juice of half a lemon
- 1 large bunch (about 300 g) grapes
- 16 walnuts, plus a few extra for garnish
- 4 sticks celery, finely sliced, plus a few celery leaves for garnish
- ¾ cup (180 ml) Crosse & Blackwell Salad Cream
- salt and white pepper, to taste
1. Cut the chicken breasts diagonally into thin slices and set aside.
2. Core and thinly slice the apples. Place in a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice and toss gently to coat – this will help prevent the apple slices from browning. 3. Cut the grapes in half and remove the seeds. Coarsely chop the walnuts.
4. Add the grapes, walnuts, celery and Crosse & Blackwell Salad Cream to the bowl containing the apple and stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 5. Transfer the salad to a bowl or platter and arrange the sliced chicken on top. Garnish with extra walnuts and small celery leaves.
6. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Cool, crunchy, creamy Waldorf Salad with grapes, apples, celery and mayo is a summer classic, and our delicious version includes sliced smoked chicken. This is superb for filling lunch boxes because it’s one salad that won’t wilt. For a modern twist, how about serving this in individual bowls, with the ingredients arranged in neat groups?