Boerewors Rolls with Pickled Red Onion & Mayo
- 400 g boerewors
- 2 red onions, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) white vinegar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) sugar
- 4 long rolls, such as ciabatta rolls or half baguettes
- butter for spreading
- 8 Carmel Gherkins, sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) Crosse & Blackwell Burger Sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
1. Braai or grill the boerewors.
2. To make the quick pickle, place the sliced red onions in a big shallow bowl and add the vinegar, salt and sugar. Set aside to soften slightly for 30 minutes or longer – they’ll keep up to a week in the fridge.
3. Split and butter the rolls and add the cooked boerewors. Drain the vinegar from the onions, pat them dry on a paper towel, and add them to the rolls along with the gherkins.
4. Drizzle generously with Crosse & Blackwell Burger Sauce, and serve immediately.
Is there anything yummier than juicy boerewors hot off the braai, tucked into crispy rolls and topped with onions, gherkins and mayo? This is our va-va-voom version of a classic that will delight anyone who appreciates excellent South African street food.